Shari Thurow: Usability – Its Importance and Application to both SEO and SEM
- Usability – a website can be used to achieve specific goals.Often people have the perception a website works because Clients say “they like it” or “I think it works fine”
- Often there are problems related to effectiveness – can users achieve what they need to ?
- Ease of learning
- Recognition rather than recall
- Error prevention & Satisfaction all fundamental parameters requiring attention and measurement to benchmark website performance.
- Search Usability – ease with which users find information on a website.
- People say a lot about what they want with their keywords – more “pogo sticking” there is less likely are conversions …
- Balance between business goals and users goals – that’s web usability.
- Only when you talk to users you can identify their motivations
- Human-centered design – personas, make believe people, a tool to get the people on the web page.
- Persona must be specific, name and visual image, hypothetical, unique for each project
- Prototypes for different sites (in different languages) look very different in different languages – layouts can change significantly.
- Users have one of 3 intentions: navigational, transactional, informational
- Realistic expectations about Search engine positioning is fundamental – don’t design for search engines, but for people who use search engines.
- For navigational searches the URL is very important – home pages and the about pages are of this type
- For informational queries, URLs are not so important, rather the Title and descriptions
- A powerful Search marketing campaign cannot forget the user – need to know why people are searching
- How + Why = long term ROI
Sante J. Achille
Latest posts by Sante J. Achille (see all)
- European Interactive Advertising Association Report Dec. 2010 - December 21, 2010
- Buy Tourism Online 2010, Florence – Italy - November 17, 2010
- Statistics on Internet Usage in Italy September 2010 - November 15, 2010