Russia is a huge market, spanning two continents and 11 time zones.
And with almost 150 million citizens, it is one that many global brands are becoming increasingly interested in.
You cannot simply launch your existing campaigns in Russia, though.
If you want your brand to succeed, you need to tailor your marketing activities to the Russian culture.
Let’s look at three ways you should adapt your marketing strategy for Russia.
1. People are driven by a desire to have a good quality of life
Modesty and wellbeing are valued.
When marketing in Russia, you should therefore emphasise how your product or service can help the customer achieve a better quality of life.
2. In B2B settings, decisions are made by just a few senior people
This means that your marketing strategy has to focus on these senior decision-makers.
There is little point in targeting personas in more junior roles, as they do not have much input into purchasing decisions.
So, if you are a B2B brand, make sure that your content, messaging and style reflects the seniority of your target audience.
3. Russians trust foreign brands over local ones
If they see two brands offering the same type of product – one Russian and one foreign – they are likely to go with the foreign one, due to its perceived higher quality.
This is great news for international brands thinking of entering the country!
I hope this blog post has given you a useful introduction to how you need to adapt your marketing strategy for the Russian culture. For more in-depth information, read Webcertain’s online consumer behaviour report here.
This 219-page report gives concise, up-to-date overviews of the cultures of 38 countries worldwide.
- Learn how each country scores for Hofstede’s cultural dimensions.
- Discover what this means in terms of marketing.
- Get additional insights directly from our experience helping global brands.
Latest posts by Elin Box (see all)
- 6 steps to international Amazon marketing success - December 11, 2020
- 3 tips for adapting your marketing strategy for the Brazilian culture - December 8, 2020
- 3 tips for adapting your marketing strategy for the Saudi Arabian culture - December 4, 2020