China and Russia. The biggest internet markets in the world and Europe respectively and both huge opportunities for international organisations.
China and Russia. Two markets where Google does not steal the show and where understanding and utilising the local players, Baidu and Yandex, as well as local languages and cultures is crucial to the success of any online activity.
It is just typical, is it not, that the countries that have the most potential to help us grow our business and increase revenues are the most challenging? But do not despair, help is at hand at the International Search Summit @ SMX West in San Jose, when both Baidu and Yandex will be sharing insights into the world of search in China and Russia as well as tips for how US marketers can harness these search engines and maximise the features they have on offer.
If you still need some convincing that you need to learn more about them, check out these stats:
- China has almost 600 million internet users.
- Baidu claims over 70% market share in China…..you do the math!
- Yandex has over 60% market share in Russia, where there are over 62 million users.
- There are more than 54 million unique visitors per month to Yandex.
- Chinese consumers buy more online than any other country, including the US.
The things to watch
While there are many similarities between these two search engines and our trusty friend Google, there are differences that you need to know about. They include:
- Keyword match types – Yandex has 4, not 3.
- Opening a Baidu account without a business located in China or a Baidu partner is tricky.
- Character lengths for ads vary – A title is 33 characters in Yandex and 50 Bytes in Baidu.
- Baidu has a wealth of products such as Baike (its Wikipedia), Zhidao (think Yahoo! answers) and Space (a social network à la Google+), all of which feature heavily in its SERPs.
- Yandex has changed the way it view links.
- On Baidu, paid has much more prominence than organic.
Delegates at the International Search Summit on 10 March will hear directly from the search engines and have the opportunity to ask questions, dig deep into the markets and ensure they leave with all their Baidu and Yandex questions answered.
Other topics covered at the Summit include geo-targeting, international keyword research and case studies from global brands Adobe and Logitech. Save 10% on all passes with the code WS-ISS10.
Hope to see you there!
Latest posts by Gemma Houghton (see all)
- Key takeaways from International Search Summit Global Virtual Edition 2021 - October 1, 2021
- Webcertain joins global market leader TransPerfect - August 26, 2021
- 10 tips on how to run a successful webinar - April 28, 2020