This blog post was updated on 17 October 2023.
833 million Indians are online, which is 58% of the country’s population. That is massive! It means that not only does India have one of the largest online populations in the world, but the country still has a long way to go in terms of development.
This makes India a very attractive destination for businesses wanting to expand internationally, but the country has a unique set of quirks that you need to understand in order to succeed.
Here are three things you need to be aware of if you want to succeed at digital marketing in India.
1. Social media
If you are targeting India, then you need to make sure you have a presence on social media. This is because social media is very popular, with the average Indian spending 2 hours and 50 minutes on social media every day. The most popular platforms are WhatsApp, Instagram, Facebook and Telegram, so you should focus your efforts on these.
E-commerce in India is growing in popularity. The most popular e-commerce platforms are Amazon, Flipkart, IndiaMART and Meesho, and the fastest growing categories of items being bought online are food, personal and household care, and fashion. The most popular payment options are digital wallets. You should also be aware that Indians are easily put off by high delivery fees.
Around 78% of internet traffic in India comes from mobile phones, meaning that your Indian website needs to be optimised for mobile. Be aware that internet speeds in India are slow, so you also need to make sure to optimise your website for speed.
Want to learn more?
I hope this has given you a useful introduction to digital marketing in India. For more in-depth information and advice, read the full-length guide here. The guide covers:
- the current digital landscape in India, including internet penetration rates
- the typical Indian internet user, including their gender, age, location and online activities
- device usage breakdowns and internet speeds in India
- search engine marketing in India
- how to localise your website for India
- social media marketing in India
- the local culture and language in India
- e-commerce in India
Anna Giulia Novero
Latest posts by Anna Giulia Novero (see all)
- 3 tips for PPC advertising in the education sector - November 29, 2018
- Marketing in travel and tourism - June 6, 2018
- 3 things to know about digital marketing in Africa - May 31, 2018