This blog post was updated on 25 September 2023.
The Czech Republic may not be an obvious destination for businesses wanting to expand overseas, but it has plenty of potential.
For one thing, the country has an internet penetration rate of 89%, meaning that 9.3 million out of its 10.5 million citizens are online.
It also has lower rates of competition than many other European countries.
1. Search engines
There are two main search engines in the country – Google and Seznam. Google is the dominant search engine, holding 80% of the market share, whilst Seznam sits at second place with a healthy 15%. If you are serious about targeting the Czech Republic, then you should focus your SEO and PPC efforts on these two search engines.
2. Social media
Facebook is the most popular social platform in the Czech Republic, being used by 83% of internet users. Facebook Messenger comes in second place, followed by WhatsApp. All these platforms are used by more than half of all Czech internet users every month.
E-commerce is becoming increasingly popular in the Czech Republic. In 2022, 60% of Czechs made a B2C purchase online, spending the equivalent of USD 5.95 billion. The most popular e-commerce marketplace in the Czech Republic is Bazoš. If you want to sell your items on an online marketplace, Bazoš should therefore be your first choice when targeting the Czech Republic.
Want to learn more?
I hope this blog post has been a useful introduction to digital marketing in the Czech Republic. For more in-depth information and advice, read my full-length guide here! From reading this guide, you will learn:
- the current digital landscape in the country, including internet penetration rates
- the typical Czech internet user, including their gender, age and online activities
- device usage breakdowns and internet speeds in the Czech Republic
- search engine marketing in the Czech Republic
- how to localise your website for the Czech Republic
- social media marketing in the Czech Republic
- the local culture and language in the Czech Republic
- e-commerce in the Czech Republic
Latest posts by Ivana Kanuscakova (see all)
- 3 things to know about digital marketing in the Czech Republic - December 21, 2017
- 3 things that prove Seznam is important in the Czech Republic - October 12, 2017